Facial Surgery Beverly Hills | Los Angeles | Santa Barbara
Throughout history, numerous studies have shown how important the face is. In fact, how you feel about your face has a lot to do with how you feel about life in general. Facial expressions are a way to interact with others and the way you look has an impact on how others perceive you. It has been written that the eyes are the windows to the soul but in reality, the rest of your face is as well. A lot of the conscious and unconscious character judgments we make are based upon a person’s face. We evaluate blemishes and wrinkle patterns to determine a person’s character and we look at the symmetry and proportion of facial features to determine a person’s attractiveness. Cosmetic problems occurring elsewhere in the body can be covered up however, in Western society the face is almost always in plain view.
Because the face is the first thing people notice, many of us are concerned about our appearance and we would like to change certain things. Some people are born with facial abnormalities but the majority of us become unsatisfied when we notice the effects of aging, sun damage, or facial trauma. Fortunately, many of these conditions can be corrected through surgical procedures performed by Dr. Brent Moelleken, M.D., F.A.C.S. Facial surgery is one of the fastest growing areas in cosmetic surgery. Attractive people are perceived as being more confident so given that the face plays such an important part in determining attractiveness, it makes sense that cosmetic facial surgery is so widespread.
According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the second and third most popular cosmetic surgeries of 2010 were two types of facial surgery: nose surgery (rhinoplasty) and eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty.) These two surgeries beat out the popular liposuction and tummy tuck procedures and they were only surpassed by breast augmentation. All in all, well over 600,000 facial surgery procedures were performed in the United States last year. Thanks to the development of advanced medical devices, at our Neo Surgical Center many of today’s facial cosmetic procedures are minimally invasive and can be performed using local and/or intravenous anesthesia although some procedures may require an outpatient or same day surgery.
Facial surgery can address a number of different facial flaws. If there is a cosmetic problem with your nose, ears, eyelids, chin, forehead, cheeks, or just about any other part of your face, some form of facial surgery can help improve it.
Some of the common cosmetic facial surgeries include:
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy) provides a more youthful appearance by tightening your facial skin, muscles and removing excess skin.
- Forehead Lift (Brow Lift) is often performed in conjunction with blepharoplasty to improve brow positioning, droopy eyebrows, minimize frown lines, and reduce forehead wrinkles.
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) removes fat and excess skin from your upper and lower eyelids and can be performed alone or in conjunction with other facial surgery procedures. This surgery improves the function and look of your eyes.
- Fat Injections or grafting has broad applications in cosmetic surgery. Fat injected into areas requiring volume-enhancement produces safe, long-lasting, and natural-appearing results as volume is replaced to tissues where fat is
- Lip Enhancement will reshape your upper and lower lip to give a more aesthetic or youthful appearance. Augmentation of the lips is accomplished using various materials that help “plump” your lips, creating fullness and decreasing vertical lines.
- Neck Lift or contouring your neck with liposuction and tightening your neck muscles and skin are a key part of facial rejuvenation. Even if the rest of your face has been lifted and excess skin removed, you will not achieve your desired look if sagging jowls or a double chin are still present.
- Nasal Reconstruction (Rhinoplasty) can reduce or increase the size of your nose, change the shape of the tip or the bridge, narrow the span of your nostrils, or change the angle between your nose and your upper lip. Rhinoplasty/Septoplasty is surgery of the external and internal nose in which cartilage and bone are restructured and reshaped to improve the appearance and function of your nose.
- Ear Surgery (Otoplasty) is usually performed to set prominent ears closer to the head, change the shape, or to reduce the size of large ears. This surgery reshapes the cartilage of your ears so they protrude less.
Facial cosmetic surgery may refine, enhance, or rejuvenate your existing features and how much or how little you want to change your appearance depends on the extent of the surgical procedure you choose. Cosmetic surgery is not limited to correcting minor or major deformities. It can also help people who don’t have anything actually wrong; they simply wish to improve their overall level of attractiveness. Dr. Moelleken offers all aspects of cosmetic and plastic surgery and non surgical procedures include cosmetic injections, laser skin rejuvenation, and skin care treatments. Dr. Moelleken has also innovated numerous cosmetic surgery procedures, including LiveFill®, the 360 Facelift®, the USIC®, and the LUSIC® cheek lift to restore harmonious youth and beauty to your face.
At Neo Surgical Center, we take the time to understand your reasons to seek improvement because we know that your decision is, first and foremost, an emotional one. Double board certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Moelleken and his staff are very pleased to combine the latest innovations in facial plastic surgery with personalized care and the utmost in confidentiality. Our approach encompasses several stages to help you achieve the goal of looking as good as you feel and it is important to understand that your age, health, skin texture, bone structure, healing capacity, personal habits, and lifestyle are all factors that may affect the results of your surgery.
Dr. Moelleken will individually consult with you to help you arrive at a desired appearance to meet your specific needs. Using a computerized aesthetic imaging system, you can evaluate potential surgical results together while viewing a computerized video image to help you reach decisions more confidently. Whether you need plastic surgery or cosmetic surgery for the first time or are looking for revision plastic surgery, through medical expertise and compassionate care Dr. Moelleken will help you put your best face forward.
The following types of facial procedures are available at the Neo Laser Surgery Center so for more information, click on a procedure listed below and schedule a consultation with Dr. Moelleken to find out which ones are appropriate for you.